How To Use Chebe Powder For Hair Growth
You may have looked all over the internet for the best hair growth hack in your quest for longer hair. Two of the remedies that are most frequently recommended are rice water and castor oil.
However, the majority of people are unaware of the use of chebe powder for successful and healthy hair growth.
So, how can you use chebe powder for hair growth?
How to get the most out of your Chebe Powder
Mix 4 tablespoons of powder with 2 tablespoons of oil of your choice
For a more thicker paste, you can also add 1-2 tablespoons of your favorite butter or cream. Chebe powder works great with Karkar Oil and Chebe Oil if you want to get the best results.
Divide your hair into sections and apply the mixture
You can adjust how many sections you divide your hair depending on the thickness and nature of your hair. Make sure your hair is clean and damp before application.
Apply the mixture to your hair
Generously apply the mixture to each section, working from root to tip (avoiding the scalp). You can braid or twist your hair into a protective style, and repeat each step after 3-5 days.
What is chebe powder?
The women of the Basara tribe in the northern African country of Chad have long preserved a haircare secret that helps them retain long and lustrous hair all the way down to their waists. This is a result of a combination of herbs known as chebe powder. This natural product is derived from components including shébé seeds (from the Croton zambesicus plant), mahllaba soubiane seeds, missic stone, cloves, and samour resin.
Chebe powder for hair has traditionally been used for centuries by women of Chad to maintain their hair (often waist length), as well as to help with strong, healthy hair growth. It is often mixed with water to create a thick paste that is then applied, which can be very messy and leave stains on clothes.
This ancient beauty remedy has recently become very popular in the west, combining it with various oils and shampoos to make it more applicable, marketable, and effective.
Does chebe powder help with hair growth?
According to medical and cosmetic dermatologist Uchenna Okereke, chebe powder effectively reduces breakages and shedding, enhancing the hair's health and growth capacity.
Experts agree that chebe powder may not encourage growth purely on its own, but it will make the appearance of hair thicker and fuller. “It is known to nourish and hydrate the hair, so as a result, there is less breakage,” states Dr. Sunitha Posina, M.D, as well as maintaining the length and health of the hair longer.
According to Okereke, “The improvement in length retention is what lends to its ability to have one’s hair grow longer, thanks to the shebe seeds it contains.”
What are the benefits of chebe powder on hair?
Main benefits of Chebe
- Maintains hair length and health
- Prevents breakages, entanglement, and shedding
- Nourishes, hydrates, and moisturizes hair
- Encourages stronger and thicker hair growth
Chebe powder gives your hair the nutrients and moisture that it needs to be healthy. The powder locks in moisture to help you retain length and promote the growth of stronger hair roots.
Ingredients you will need
- Chebe powder
- Essential oils of your choice (olive oil and coconut are most commonly used)
- Two medium-sized bowls
- A Teaspoon
- Microwave or other heating apparatus
Mixing the powder
Chebe powder is relatively easy to mix from the comfort of your home. To quickly prepare your mixture, follow these five simple steps.
- Put four teaspoonfuls of chebe powder into one of the bowls.
- Add three teaspoons of essential oils of your choice in the second bowl.
- Put the oil mixture inside a microwave for about a minute. Ensure the oils are well melted to make the mixture after with chebe easier.
- Pour the oil mixture into the bowl with the chebe powder. Let it sit for a minute or two.
- Thoroughly mix all of the ingredients inside the bowl with a spoon.
The powder should resemble runny applesauce in texture. Add more coconut oil or olive oil if the mixture becomes too thick. Add extra powder if it's too thin.
Applying the mixture to your hair
Chebe powder can be a fantastic addition to your hair care routine as a leave-in condition or even a hair mask, especially if you have dry or brittle hair.
For best results, chebe powder should be applied to clean and damp hair rather than dry or wet. Make sure to wash your hair thoroughly with the shampoo and conditioner of your choice before using chebe powder.
You’ve washed your hair, chebe powder has been mixed with your oils, and now you’re ready to get started.
Follow the steps below for application:
- Gently detangle your hair using a comb or your fingers.
- Section and/or braid your hair, depending on the amount of hair you have.
- Apply the mixture to a section of your hair, focusing on the roots of the hair. Make sure that all of the hair in the section is covered. Try to avoid getting the mixture on your scalp.
- Braid the section you just applied the mixture down to the ends.
- Repeat the steps above for all of the other sections of your hair.
- Wet your hair with hot or cold water.
- Cover your hair using a conditioning cap or a head towel to trap the moisture properties of the chebe mixture.
- Leave the mixture in your hair for as long as you want. It is recommended to leave it on for at least two to three hours.
- Rinse your hair whenever you want.
As stated before, chebe is traditionally mixed with water to create a moisturizing paste that helps keep the hair shaft from breaking. It is commonly applied directly onto twists or braids onto the roots of the hair and left anywhere from three to five days.
Is chebe powder suitable for all hair types?
People in Western countries have taken notice that women who use chebe powder can grow incredibly long and lustrous hair. The great thing about chebe is that it’s suitable for all hair types, with type 3 curly hair (3A, 3B, and 3C), type 4 kinky hair (4A, 4B, 4C) and low porosity hair types receiving the most benefits.
In case you don’t know how to identify your hair, you can try the quiz here.
Best ready-made chebe products you can try right now
Beauty brands in the West employ chebe powder in a somewhat different way. In order to make its application less messy and more appealing to the market, it is typically combined with leave-in conditioners, hair oils, and hair butter.
These products take the extra steps out of making your own mixture and are already fully prepared to be applied to your hair, with all the benefits that come with chebe powder.
Kyla Michaels is a beauty expert journalist who is known for her knowledge and expertise on the latest beauty trends and products, particularly those related to black hair care.