Is rice water good for low porosity hair?
Although rice water has been used for centuries, it has recently skyrocketed in popularity on the internet. Given its many advantages on hair, using rice water may potentially have life-changing benefits like strengthening hair strands and improving hair health.
But do all hair types respond well to rice water? And more specifically, is rice water good for low porosity hair?
Rice water has the potential to provide a number of benefits for low porosity hair. However, it should be used in moderation to achieve the best results and to avoid protein overload.
In this article, we will go over the many benefits of rice water for low porosity hair and the different factors you need to consider before jumping on this trend.
What is rice water?
Women in Asia have been using rice water as hair treatment to strengthen and grow their hair for centuries. According to Healthline, “Rice water is the starchy water leftover after the rice is cooked or left to soak. It is thought to make the hair smooth and shiny, as well as help it grow faster”.
Essentially, rice water is the residual water that is left behind after cooking rice. It is rich in essential nutrients that encourage hair growth, especially proteins and inositol.
Here are some pros and cons of using rice water on low porosity hair.
- Promotes healthier and longer hair growth
- Detangles hair and makes it more manageable and smooth
- Moisturizes and hydrates hair strands
- Boosts elasticity and repairs damaged hair strands as it contains inositol
- Reduces shedding, thinning, and dandruff
While rice water contains many essential nutrients, people with low porosity hair may have different results than those with high porosity hair.
- Low porosity hair tends to contain a lot of protein, which means that adding too much rice water will overload the hair with more protein which may cause dryness.
- It can lead to hair damage if overused
- It can be hard to gauge the amount to use
- It can be time-consuming to prepare
How to apply rice water on low porosity hair for best results
- After shampooing, saturate your hair with Fermented Rice Water from root to tip, including your scalp.
- Massage rice water into your strands and scalp, and allow it to sit for 15-20 minutes.
- Rinse, and if you want, you can follow up with a deep conditioner of your choice. Use once per month.
If you have low porosity hair, the best way to make the rice water work well for your hair is to exercise caution when using it.
When you start using rice water for hair growth, monitor your hair's progress and see how it responds.
How often should you use rice water on hair?
The recommended frequency is anywhere from once a month to once a week. Ensure you space out the rice water protein treatment according to what works for your hair to avoid protein overload.
According to this article, you should leave rice water in low porosity hair at most, for 20 minutes, especially if it's your first time using it.
In case you are interested in more details about rice water, we suggest reading our article about benefits of rice water.
Rice water can be as transformative on low porosity hair as high porosity, as long as it is used in moderation and sparingly. This is because overusing rice water can lead to hair damage. However, if used correctly, it can be very helpful for your hair to help it grow stronger and healthier.
Best Chebe products you can try right now
Kayla Michaels is a beauty expert journalist who is known for her knowledge and expertise on the latest beauty trends and products, particularly those related to black hair care.
Shop the article
Fermented Rice Water
Chebe Hair Oil